Friday 17 July 2009

Canadian Single Malt Glen Breton

I have just finished reading yet another article on the long running saga involving the Scotch Whisky Association and a previously little known distillery in Canada.

There has been much newsprint and web space devoted to the story and for those interested in further reading, here are some links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Breton_Rare

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=7425231196&topic=7471

http://inebrio.com/thescotchblog/?p=1159

The SWA beef with Glenora Distillery is their use of the name Glen Breton on the label. The distillery is located in a glen at Cape Breton in Nova Scotia, Canada. The SWA argue that use of the word "Glen" confuses consumers into believing the whisky is made in Scotland. I don't intend to get into the politics, there are good arguments on both sides, especially when you look at cases involving Scottish sounding names on Indian "whiskies".

Recently, one of my customers told me had family coming over to visit from Canada. I got talking to him about the Glen Breton single malt and he expressed an interest in trying it.
I said I would order a bottle in for behind the bar and once he had tasted it I would order another to share with his visitors.

His Canadian cousins expressed some surprise when he told them what he was proposing to share with them, since although being well known outside the country because of the long legal battle, the whisky is not that well known in its own country.

No comments:

Post a Comment